Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Trinidad Beach Rocks


"Trinidad Beach Rocks" by Andrew Daniel 
9" x 12" Oil on canvas
Inquire with artist

So after all of my hemmin and hawin, I'm finally back into painting with a proper amount of enthusiasm.

It was the funniest thing but my frustration, anxiety, and lack of motivation broke like a fever. One hour it was there like a house guest who has overstayed his welcome and the next it was gone; gassed up and drove away! 

I decided to rework the landscape I had started last week and it turned out to be a lot of fun!

This is the one that was telling me to take another 1.5 months off!

Also I've finished another piece that had been hanging around for months of reworks and I've nearly completed a portrait that I just started yesterday.

I mean I actually want to paint! It's not something I "have to do" to make sure I'm a productive citizen of the art world, it's just kind of a fun way to pass the time!

I spoke with Steve Porter last week and he told me taking breaks is actually really helpful for him, he comes back with fresh energy and new ideas. I have to say it helped me too. Finishing paintings is not such a struggle now, it's the best part!

Part of what helped me was calling up my friend John Crater to see if he wanted some company in his studio. I realized that I like painting with people, but I've got a ton of paintings that need finishing, and the rain has not conduced inspiration for outdoor painting.

Hooking up with friends to work on studio paintings turns out to be just as fun as meeting them outdoors!

Typically, I run out to paint with my friends, only to come home with more unfinished pieces to add to my pile. By meeting up to rework some of these paintings, I get to have the double satisfaction of catching up with a friend and finishing work!

Reworking pieces seems to be a process that is a bit slower and more contemplative. Taking lots of breaks is important in order to see the piece with fresh eyes. This is perfect for getting distracted occasionally debating politics and talking art.

Some of you may want an update on the cotton candy circus...

I've made two more batches, they taste good, less burnt, still not getting identifiable flavors, but if you are someone who doesn't need to know what your are eating, this shouldn't be a problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment